The causes of weight gain can be many, and vary greatly from person to person. Some common causes include:
- Excess kilojoules from an unhealthy diet high in sugar, processed fats and processed foods
- Excess kilojoules from sweetened beverages such as juice, soft drink and sports drinks
- Excess kilojoules from alcohol
- Lack of regular physical activity
- Stress / anxiety which triggers emotional eating, and / or reduces an individual's motivation to be physically active
Other factors that can influence weight include some medications, genetics, hormonal imbalance, insomnia and menopause.